One of my favorite things to eat is homemade Mac & Cheese…and I have finally perfected mine! I originally started with Ree Drummond’s recipe (Pioneer Woman), but tweaked some stuff and tried to make it my own! It took so many times of trying and failing to figure out the perfect recipe, which I’d now love to share with all of you!
First off, grab a package of dry macaroni noodles (of course). It should be a package of about 4 cups of noodles. Add the noodles to a pot of boiling water, with salt and oil of course! Cook until al dente.
Be sure to drain the pasta and leave it off to the side while preparing the sauce…yummmm the fun begins!
In a large saucepan, begin to melt about 1/4 of a stick of salted butter at medium heat. After the butter has melted, add in 1/4 of a cup of all purpose flour…don’t skip this step! The butter and the flour together will make a roux, which will be vital in the making of the sauce! *Be sure not to burn it!! Whisk together the butter and flour, and once fully mixed, add in the 3 cups of milk.
Continue to whisk the sauce to dissolve the roux in the milk. After this, add 1 whisked egg into the mix (this is also very key!)
Continue to whisk the sauce, while adding in all of the seasoning! Add in salt, seasoning salt, and pepper (as much as you would like…I would recommend extra pepper and seasoning salt!)
Here comes the fun part…add about 3/4 of a cup of cheese! I like to have a combination of cheese, so I usually buy the packet of mixed cheese (usually Colby Jack). But you can also use just sharp cheddar, or whatever you’d like!
Whisk together…After all of the cheese has melted, add in all of the cooked pasta and stir together. MMM…this is where you take a little taste to make sure it is up to your standards 🙂
From there, put all of the macaroni into an oven safe casserole dish, and top with another 3/4 cup of cheese. Place it into a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until cheese bubbles.
Sometimes, I like to add some breadcrumbs to it as well, which can be done about 1/2 way through cooking.
Take out of the oven and enjoy!
Mmmmm…yummy! Plus, there is always leftovers (lucky you!)
Enjoy with some rolls…I had it with my Mini Garlic and Lemon Monkey Bread! You can find that recipe on this blog as well!
Eat up loves! 🙂
4 Cups of uncooked macaroni
1/4 stick of salted butter
1/4 cup of all purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 tbsp salt
3 tbsp seasoning salt
3 tbsp pepper …or more, whatever you like!
1 1/2 cups of mixed cheese (I like Colby Jack)
1. Add uncooked pasta to boiling water (with salt and oil), and cook to al dente. Drain pasta and leave in the pot.
2. Make a roux for the sauce by melting 1/4 stick of butter into another saucepan, and whisking in 1/4 cup of flour…careful not to let it burn
3. Once fully mixed together, add in 3 cups of milk, and continue to whisk to make sure to combine all ingredients well.
4. Whisk in 1 beaten egg, and all of the seasoning
5. Lastly, add in 3/4 cup of cheese and whisk until cheese is melted.
6. Add macaroni into the sauce pan and fold into the sauce so that all noodles are covered.
7. Put all of the macaroni into an oven-safe casserole pan, and top with the remaining 3/4 cup of cheese.
8. Place into a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Halfway through, sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top and put back into the oven.
9. Enjoy! 🙂